Saturday 1 May 2010

Bake

Grandma Nell's Rock cakes
My hubby has been studying hard for the last few weeks ready for his Accountancy exams so I thought I would reward his hard work with his favourite cakes which are rock cakes. My Grandma always used to make them when I was little and they always remind me of her when I make them. Simple yet delicious- needless to stay they didn't last very long at all. The recipe is so easy:
225g Self raising flour
115g butter or marg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mixed spice
50g caster sugar
115g raisins and cherries ( I always add much more than this as I love a fruity rock cake)
1 large egg
2 tsp milk
3 tsp demerera sugar to sprinkle on top of cake

Sift flour, salt and mixed spice
Rub in butter until you have breadcrumbs
Add sugar and raisins
Beat egg and milk together and slowly add to mix bit by bit
Mix to make a dough
Divide into ball shapes onto baking sheet
Sprinkle with demerera sugar and bake for 15 at 200c


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love it if you left me a comment so please do so here...