Saturday 1 May 2010

Make

Damson Jam
Last weekend my parent's-in-law came to visit and I was lucky enough to be given vast amounts of damsons from the tree in their garden. I couldn't wait to make Damson jam with them and managed to find some time today to make a batch. I always make more than I realise so I will have to house a few jars to a few lucky recipients. Its so easy to make- the time is in picking out all of the stones but the patience is worth it.

Main thing is to sterilise the jars. I soak them in hot water with soda crystals and then put the jars and lids in a low oven around 100c. Make sure that the jars just come out of the oven when you add your jam to ensure it lasts. The recipe really is simple:

1kg damsons or wild plums
1.4litres water
1kg granulated sugar or preserving sugar

Put the damsons in a preserving pan and pour in water
Bring to the boil and reduce heat until the damsons are soft.
Add the sugar and stir.
Bring mixture to boil, skim off any stones that rise- make sure you get them all.
Boil to setting  point 105c (good trick to know its ready is to add saucer in freezer, take out when cold and add small spoon of jam.Leave for few minutes then push with finger- if it wrinkles its ready.)
Cool for 10 mins then pot and seal.
Lasts for ages un-opened.
Once open keep in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love it if you left me a comment so please do so here...