Saturday 13 March 2010

Make



Tomato chutney

For some reason I had lots of tomatoes in the fridge that needed using up, as much as I love them we couldnt eat them all in time so I made a yummy tomato chutney. It is so easy to make and so delicious.
Makes about 1.8kg
Ingredients
900 g tomatoes, (skin if using large tomatoes) I used cherry tomatoes
225g raisins
225g onions, chopped
225g caster suger
600ml malt vinegar

  • Chop the tomatoes and place in preserving pan
  • Add the raisins, onions and caster sugar
  • Pour the vinegae into the pan and bring to the boil
  • Simmer for 2 hours, uncovered until soft and thickened
  • Transfer chutney to warmed,sterilized jars
  • Top with waxed lids
  • Store in cool,dark place and leave for one month to mature
  • It will keep unopened for a year- if you can wait!!
  • Once open keep in the fridge and enjoy with cheese's...yum!!
Made a great gift to give to friends and family, make your own labels and even cover with gingham fabric to give it that 'homemade' feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love it if you left me a comment so please do so here...